Sunday, October 23, 2011

For the Cure






 It was an early morning.  Why is a cancer run at 7:30am?  I went with my sister and her friend to walk the 5k Race for the Cure in Eugene.  I worried it would be an emotional event, and it did have its moments.  But it was more that I was seeing the event from my sisters' perspective.  It's such a personal battle and to have strangers acknowledging you, being invited into your disease and survival, that would be very uncomfortable. 
At 9:30 was a family 1k and it was really fun having her kids walk with us.  It was good to have a "fun" part to having a mom with a serious illness.  There was ice cream and treats and all the free pink trinkets (pens, stickers, key chains etc) that a kid could ever ask for.  I always have to chuckle now when I see a pink ribbon because Stella says: "That shirt has breast cancer" or "That bag has breast cancer".

I sorry to be invited into the crappy club of "directly affected by breast cancer" and more saddened but relieved that my sister is a "Breast Cancer Survivor".

1 comment:

samantha said...

She is looking great! I'm so glad you were able to go down and enjoy this walk with her.