Saturday, November 21, 2009

Student of the Month

Adrianne was chosen by her teacher to be Student of the Month for her class. She was so thrilled to have her name called in front of the whole school at an assembly. I did the mom thing and had to choke back my tears (now I know why my mom was always crying). Her teacher said that she is a friend to all and always comes into class with a good attitude, excited to learn. My little rule minder! The other day I was scolding Stella for hitting her, and I said "Would you like Adrianne to hit you?" to which Adrianne replied:
"Why would I ever do that? I love Stella, I would never hit her!!!"
Adrianne loves her class and for now this is the right place for her. We have all kinds of interesting learning opportunities that help her figure out how the world works (at least at a 5 year old level). Like "christian christians vs. jesus christians" (long story), advocating for yourself to a grown up. We talk everyday about the kids in her class, how they are different/same, what is culture/tradition and what is bad things that we don't do and lots more. This is the meat of parenting... where she really is starting to see how our values are different then others. I'm glad the lessons are very small now.

No comments: