Wednesday, March 17, 2010

I got my craft on! Family Rules.





I have been admiring this project on other people's blogs for awhile now. I really wanted to have some way to post our family's rules and this is such a good idea. It only took me about 2 hours and the cost of the canvas and modge podge.

First I decided on my rules. I am really not fond of my handwriting and I knew that my efforts copying fonts would be crappy so I opted to print them with my computer. This proved to be slightly aggravating and took the most time, but I prevailed. I then distressed the edges of the paper with brown ink. I painted my canvas chocolate brown and sanded it when it dried to give it a distressed look. I lined out my rules and modge podged them down. I used a pampered chef stoneware tool to help them lay flat, but I still ended up with some bubbling. Then I noticed that it looked funny with so much gap around the edges so I added paper to the sides to fill it in. I did two more coats of modge podge over the whole thing to help it stay together. And Voila!
Don't look too close or you'll see all my oop-sies. Over all I am happy with my job! I'm not really going to be keeping these on the porch. I was just having trouble finding good light in the house to shoot my handiwork. It does look cute next to my watering cans!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Very cute!

Doty Family said...

This turned out very cute! Nice job.

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

I love this! I need to figure out some rules for our house!!! :P